About the Day-to-Day Responsibilities of the Role
- Develop code to represent characteristics of extreme weather events using observations, numerical weather models, and statistical models.
- Work with domain-area experts in atmospheric science to understand relevant datasets to translate model calibration and validation needs into appropriate statistical analyses and models.
- Analyze and validate Verisk’s stochastically generated storms against observational data to ensure statistical robustness. As part of a team, defend the statistical analysis on behalf of Verisk to external clients and reviewers.
- Contribute to identification, inference, and modeling of non-stationarities in atmospheric data, including those that may be due to climate change.
- Soundboard modeling problems with fellow team members working on other projects, and contribute to a team culture of mutual support, respect, and continued learning.